21 July 2010

Reader BEWARE!

I was looking through the Okfuskee County GenWeb cemetery listings and made an interesting and possible major discovery. I found in the A through E surnames almost 200 children that died within about 3 months of each other in 1902, if I remember right.

The trend continued in the F surname listing and I started getting suspicious. So I checked against some of the photos on Findagrave.com. Only a handful actually died during what I thought was the "epidemic" time period. Most lived to be adults and died in the mid to late 1900s.

Apparently the person inputting data/setting up the database either intentionally put in wrong information to mess up people copying data, or unintentionally made some kind of input or programming error.

The point here is to corroborate information! Don't settle for the first source you come across. Whenever possible, verify information with a different source. You will save yourself time, trouble and embarassment!

No comments:

Post a Comment